This 2-day course is designed for the beginner who wants to learn how to easily set up a website or blog (or both) from scratch, customize it with a design and build out the content so it works as a marketing platform for their business.
Registration is closed
WordPress Training Dates & Locations
Date: January 30-31, 2017
Time: 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Location: OSHA Training Center
7600 Dublin Boulevard (map)
All files and materials will be provided to each student. Build your own website and take it with you.
The class is limited to 15 students.
WordPress Training Reviews
We're rated 5.0/5 by our students on Google.
Beginning WordPress Hands-On Workshop
"Tom is a great instructor. I've taken his SEO class and WordPress course and I highly recommend both of them. Thanks again BASEA!"
"I took Tom's Wordpress for Beginners Class and it was great! I learned a lot, Tom is a great teacher and I'm looking forward to taking more of his courses."
"I took Tom Petty's 2 day hands-on workshop on WordPress. Tom is a real Pro and very devoted to educating his students. He gave it all, and shared many useful, low or no cost resources. I highly recommend his classes, and online webinars."
"Thank you, Tom, for offering a truly great beginning Wordpress workshop. I now am confident -- and excited! -- to jump in and create. Or, at the very least, know what to do if I "break" anything! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and real-world advice. I recommend your workshop to anyone looking for a clear overview of Wordpress."
If you’re a small business owner, it’s a given that you have to have a good website to attract new business. Your customers are looking online for you, and the first thing they’re going to do is visit your website before they call you. If your website was built more than two years ago, you probably need to upgrade it to meet current web standards:
- Is it built to work on mobile devices such as tablets and cell phones? If not, you’re losing customers, and Google rewards mobile-aware websites with higher position
- Has it been built to show up on the search engines like Google, or is it invisible?
- Does it capture visitors effectively so they get in touch with you the way you want them to?
- Is it secure to keep the hackers out?
Hiring a web designer to build your website can be expensive, costing thousands of dollars or even more. Finding the right person that understands what you want can be a challenge too.
Over 25% of all websites in the world (about 75 million of them!) are built on a platform called WordPress. The software is free, it’s extremely powerful, widely supported, and gives the business owner a robust platform to build a great quality website and a business blogging platform to market their business. The platform works very well with all search engines like Google and Bing.
Build Your Own Website In Class!
If you’d like to build your own website without learning to code or be a web geek, this workshop is designed just for you. During this hands-on class, you’ll start with your own blank WordPress site, and you’ll build a website from scratch exactly the way you want it to be.
The website is yours to take with you if you want. The class also gives you a safe place to practice the techniques without affecting your current website.
During the WordPress class you’ll learn how to:
- Install and customize a professionally designed theme (design) to make your website look great
- Know the differences between pages and posts and how to use them both effectively
- Set up the website menu
- Set up a blog that works on the search engines as well as social media
- Properly configure a search engine optimization (SEO) plug-in
- Secure the website so hackers can’t get in
WordPress Class Details
In order to participate in the class, you’ll need to know how to use a computer with a web browser. You’ll bring a laptop computer (Mac or PC) to do the work in class. A tablet (like an Apple iPad) will NOT work for this class. Your computer must have a USB port (each student will receive a thumb drive with all the class materials and files on it). You do not need to know any HTML, coding or programming. This is designed for business owners who want to learn how to build and manage their own website.
- What is WordPress and the difference between hosted and self-hosted WordPress?
- Appearance and themes
- Setting up WordPress so it’s a website too
- Posts and Pages
- What is a blog?
- Why all businesses must have a blog
- Categories and Tags
- Managing comments
- Adding media (images, PDF files, etc.)
- Installing and configuring plugins to add functionality
- Photo Galleries
- Contact Forms
- Google Analytics
- WordPress SEO
- Social Media Share plug-ins
- Spam filtering
- Backing up the site
- WordPress security – how to secure your site to keep the hackers out
It’s important to understand that this is not a class intended for web designers or programmers.
- It is not a programming class to teach you HTML, PHP or any other language
- It is not a web design class that will teach you graphic design
- You won’t be able to work on a pre-existing website in class. It’s designed to take you step-by-step through the process. You can of course, take these concepts and apply it to an existing website after class, which is what we hope you’ll do!
Registration is closed
Questions about the class? Please contact us and we'll get right back to you!